Normally the law requires a person to either plead guilty or not guilty to a charge.
A person can also apply to have a charge dismissed if there is evidence that he/she is:
- developmentally disabled o
- suffering from a mental illness or
- suffering from a mental condition for which treatment is available.
- Such applications have to be supported by an expert Psychiatrists Report.
- Dismissals usually require the person to stick to a Treatment Plan.
- •The person can be penalised by the Court for not following the Plan.